Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Perfect Statue


I don't have a lot of Don Larsen in my Yankees collection. Aside from a few cards (nothing vintage) and an autographed ball, there isn't much in the way of Larsen collectibles out there. I don't think he every had anything specifically made for him, like Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra or Roger Maris had. There isn't a Yankee Larsen bobblehead, which I find amazing.

So, about a year ago, my buddy and I were at the MLB All Star Fan Fest and came across a table that the Yogi Berra Museum had. I looked at their table, hoping for some really cool Yogi Berra merch for my Yankee collection, but really didn't see anything that jumped out at me until I saw they were selling Don Larsen statues. I was interested, but wanted to save my money in case I found the Wow factor (Darrel Sheets representing). My buddy, knowing I collect the Yankees, bought the statue for me.

And it took me a year to post a review. Shame on me.


I had never seen this statue before. I think this was a Brockton Rox SGA. it actually looks like the bronze statues the Yankees gave away a few years back. I don't think the Yankees gave away a Don Larsen statue in that set, so this one is a pretty cool piece to have.


On one side of the box, we get the box score from the Perfect Game from Game 5 of the 1956 World Series.


A little write up about said Perfect Game.


And a write up about the Brockton Rox. The Rox are a summer collegiate team who used to be members of the Cam-Am independent league.


And here's the statue. I am pretty impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much when I opened the box up, but it looks like I could display this with the Yankee statues and it would look like it belongs in the set. The statue also looks like the statue that is currently in the Yankees Museum.


A front view of the statue with the date of the Perfect Game on the front of the base.



A shot of the back of the statue. I just love the detail on this statue. Despite the bronze color, you can clearly see the pinstripes and the number 18 on his back clear as day.


Bottom of the back of the statue with the 1956 World Series, Game 5 inscription in gold paint.


Close up of the statue.


The bottom of the statue with the scoreboard of the game painted on in gold.

I think this a well done statue. I love the detail of it as well as the inscriptions on the base. I wonder why the Yankees didn't give these away. The fans would have loved this instead of the seeds and $2.00 Dunkin Donut cards. But I'm glad I have one and I thank my buddy for picking this up for me. It's a perfect (no pun intended...ok, maybe a little) addition to my Yankees collection and I cannot wait to be able to display it among the other statues, McFarlanes and bobbleheads in my collection.

Now I think I have to start picking up those Yankee statues to go with this Larsen.

No comments:

Post a Comment