Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th Of July!


I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day. I hope you all got to spend your day with family or friends or both. Hope you ate a ton of BBQ and had some adult beverages.

Me? I am spending mine watching the Yankees/Twins game. So far, the Yankees are winning, so I am hoping they hold on for the win.

Today, the Yankees are wearing special 4th of July caps.


I think they're alright. I will pick up one if I can find one that fits my tiny cranium.

Today is also the 75th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's famous speech. Major League Baseball is celebrating with a special video of the speech read by every first baseman in baseball and a special short stop.


I think MLB did a wonderful job producing this video and I'm sure everyone involved was honored to be asked to read a piece of what is essentially baseball's Gettysburgh Address.

Also, a commemorative patch has been produced for the players to wear today

 
I've always wanted to start collecting the patches the Yankees wear on special occasions. I would love for this to be the first one I grab.

To end this blog, I will post the speech Lou Gehrig made on this day back on July 4th 1939. I don't believe a full copy of the speech exists. From what I have read, a lot of the writers who were there that day go very emotional and not a one wrote down the speech word for word. I don't think it exists on film in it's entirety as well. But whenever I read what does exist, I get all choked up.

Happy Independence Day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment